Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Mother's Grief


A Mother's Grief
by Kelly Cummings 


You ask me how I'm feeling, 
but do you really want to know? 
The moment I try telling you 
You say you have to go 

How can I tell you, 
what it's been like for me 
I am haunted, I am broken 
By things that you don't see 

You ask me how I'm holding up, 
but do you really care? 
The moment I start to speak my heart, 
You start squirming in your chair. 

Because I am so lonely, 
you see, friends no longer come around, 
I'll take the words I want to say 
And quietly choke them down. 

Everyone avoids me now, 
I guess they don't know what to say 
They told me I'll be there for you, 
then turned and walked away. 

Call me if you need me, 
that's what everybody said, 
But how can I call and scream 
into the phone, 
My God, my child is dead? 
No one will let me 
say the words I need to say 
Why does a mothers grief 
scare everyone away? 

I am tired of pretending 
my heart hammers in my chest, 
I say things to make you comfortable, 
but my soul finds no rest. 

How can I tell you things 
that are too sad to be told, 
of the helplessness of holding a child 
who in your arms grows cold? 

Maybe you can tell me, 
How should one behave, 
who's had to follow their child's casket, 
watched it perched above a grave? 

You cannot imagine 
what it was like for me that day 
to place a final kiss upon that box, 
and have to turn and walk away. 

If you really love me, 
and I believe you do, 
if you really want to help me, 
here is what I need from you. 

Sit down beside me, 
reach out and take my hand, 
Say "My friend, I've come to listen, 
I want to understand." 

Just hold my hand and listen 
that's all you need to do, 
And if by chance I shed a tear, 
it's alright if you do to. 

I swear that I'll remember 
till the day I'm very old, 
the friend who sat and held my hand 
and let me bare my soul. 

12/8/03

No comments:

Post a Comment