Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Friday, May 6, 2011

Labor of Love


We came into the hospital and they had prepared a room for me, far from the noises of the moms in labor, and the babies crying.  I really appreciated the hospital's sensitivity.  They even had a little leaf magnet at the door signaling that this would not be a joyous occasion.  We looked at the little bassinet, sadly and wondered why the warmer was on.  They gave me "cytotek"  to induce labor and they said I can have any and all drugs that I wanted, including an epidural when I needed it.  The cytotek was placed in my cervix at 6PM, and by midnight my uterus was contracting with no breaks!  It was very painful so I asked for some pain relief.  They gave me "dilaudil" which is a really strong narcotic.  I told them to give me only half the lowest dose as I am always sensitive to drugs, but I don't think they believed me and gave me the lowest dose.  I ended up shivering and having major anxiety, after which, I said no more of that for me.  They had checked my cervix and I was only a 2 by then.  I told them at 3AM, that I think I'm going to need an epidural soon, as the pain was becoming pretty intense.  They checked my cervix again, and I was about a 3 or 4.  They said to let them know as soon as I wanted it.  I didn't want to get it too early since I was afraid it would stop labor so, I gritted my teeth and waited awhile longer.  
At about 3:45AM, I couldn't stand it and asked that they call in the anesthesiologist as I was huffing and puffing and banging my tray table to distract myself.  Unfortunately, labor progressed extremely quickly from that point on.  I started more "hu hu shewwing" around 4AM and soon after, I felt the need to go!  It is so startling that the baby descending the birth canal feels like your having a BM!  I started screaming, as I huffed and puffed, that "he was coming out!"  The nurses were startled as they were just preparing for his birth and weren't quite ready.  My husband and I were horrified to see a big gush fly across the room and I was so horrified to think, "Is that the baby!?"  Thankfully, it was just amniotic fluid, my sac had just broken at that point.  Then the baby came out the next few seconds in a rush and plopped on the bed.  My husband broke down completely and kept telling me he's here and not to look and gave me a crushing embrace.  I wanted to look so badly but, I didn't have the strength to break his embrace.  Afterwards, I became afraid to look at him and the anesthesiologist (too late) and ob/gyn came in shortly after.  My placenta would not come out, and that was the most painful part of the whole labor process.  The nurses came and took him to give him a bath and take measurements while the ob/gyn worked on trying to get my placenta out so I wouldn't hemorrhage.  My husband collapsed on the sofa with his face covered. They were prepping me for surgery when the placenta was expelled.  It felt like forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment